We couldn’t predict that Chicago’s winter wouldn’t be that cold this year, so we did plan a winter escape and left to Puerto Rico for a week of warmth.
We love the sea, we love the mountains, we love intercultural encounters, we love temperatures in the 70’…. So this is what we did:
- 3 day stay in a lovely Airbnb beach house in Naguabo
- kayaking and swimming in the warm Caribbean waters
- kayaking by night through mangroves to see the bioluminescence lagoon (with Kayaking Puerto Rico, who gave us a discount because the full moon blocked the plankton in glowing, but kayaking in the dark is just magical at itself!)
- hiking in El Yunque National Forest and Humucao Nature Reserve
- having seafood for dinner… 3 times!
- overnight in a simple Airbnb mountain house in Puerto Rico’s paradise
- driving on panoramic routes in the mountains
- hiking to the top of El Guilarte
- enjoying local pastries and coffee along the road, as well as a local juicy pork dish made by the neighbors of our mountain house
- Stay at Cristina’s Airbnb with cute balcony and nearby beach
- strolling through the streets of colorful Old San Juan
- visiting both castles in Old San Juan
And after this week I also realize I am a big fan of the lush green colors of the rain forest. Any advice for future trips including lush greenery??
Puerto Rico’s happINEss!
(None of the above businesses have invited me to write for them, nor have I received any compensation from them.)